Corporate Headquarters - San Leandro, CA
Director of Maintenance & Engineering
Full-time | Exempt
The Controls Engineer is an important link in the Engineering and Maintenance Team. The Controls Engineer is responsible for maintenance, documentation, troubleshooting, and in-house training of all control and SCADA systems in the plant. This position reports to the Director, Maintenance & Engineering. Functional supervision will be exercised over outside contractors. Equipment, facility, support equipment and technical reliability are key components to this position.
This position, by ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures, is responsible for recommending, developing, implementing and managing safety, quality and food safety on all product lines.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Responsible for complete documentation of all existing as well as new installations concerning electrical, PLC and plant improvements.
- Coordinates through production, safety manager, QA manager all associated work
orderschedules for compliance and completion according to GCC procedures.
- Cross-functional collaboration with other departments including QA, R&D, marketing, IT and Finance.
- Responsible for all Capital improvements on older controls equipment and “hands on” commissioning of all new machinery.
- Inspects completed work for conformance to standards.
- Interprets company policies to workers and enforces all regulations and policies.
- Evaluates situations to minimize downtime and maximize efficiency.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules.
- Coordinates all vendor relations and schedules concerning area of responsibility focusing on cost.
- Perform and monitor troubleshooting of defective equipment and systems to determine root cause analysis to correct problems.
- Potential for being “on call” for the facility to ensure continuous uninterrupted production.
- Ability to test and troubleshoot Allen Bradley and primarily Siemens controls including PLCs, HMIs, drives, servos, a variety of VFD's, are key essentials to this position.
- Focusing on continuous improvements in existing plant software and hardware related issues by minimizing downtime on equipment is essential to this position.
- Continually updates training of maintenance technicians on all equipment and/or procedures.
- Familiar with Union contract.
- Continuous improvement in training of electrical maintenance team members.
- Update training level of electrical team members and inform management of training needs.
- Maintain accurate and updated training records for all electrical personnel and coordinate recordation of such training through the plant training supervisor.
- Set up and maintain in house and online training solutions for all electrical personnel.
- Ability to identify training needs and to define programs for training of electricians, operators and supervisors in all areas of production.
Regular and prompt attendance required*
May include other projects or tasks, as assigned.
Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills concerning PLC functions and integrated controls equipment.
- Ability to set priorities and to be self-disciplined and consistent.
- Good written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to develop and implement action steps and follow-through with the people responsible for them.
- Ability to work effectively in a union environment.
- Computer literacy in MS Office and integrated work order / inventory system.
- Ability to develop and implement process improvement solutions.
Education & Work Experience
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
Degree, or completion of at least two years post secondary education, formal training in electrical theory, industrial controls, or equivalent combination of education and / or experience.
- Three to four years hands on experience designing, programming, installing, de-bugging and maintaining PLC based control systems.
- Experience with Allen Bradley or Siemens S7 PLC systems is preferred.
- Unionized manufacturing environment
- Potential for very warm or very cold working environment/depending on area of assignment.
- Interfacing with various manufacturing equipment and office computer equipment
- Regular communication with direct reports and internal and/or external customers
- Occasional travel local, or by air for meeting/training