Grocery Team Lead - West
Corporate Headquarters - San Leandro, CA
Director of Grocery Sales
Full-time | Exempt
PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for employment interested candidates MUST submit their resume electronically to https://www.gccweb.ghirardelli.com/jobs
*Please note when applying for this role online:
- Use Internet Explorer only
- Once you click the apply button, you will be redirected to a list of our positions.
- All positions are listed in alphabetical order. Please locate your position and click apply again.
- Lastly skip over the section where it says ‘Select any relevant skills you may have’ (unfortunately this section is not working with our system, and we are working to fix it)
A Team Leader is responsible for leading the strategic development for their assigned customer(s). This responsibility includes: achieving sales budget, delivering company distribution, pricing, shelving, and merchandising objectives at the assigned customers; leading a team of between one and two Sales Analysts or Account Managers. The Team Leader brings both a top-line and bottom-line perspective to all business decisions.
The Team Leader should be the champion of the Ghirardelli premium brand name with the customer, enhancing the Ghirardelli premium brand image through appropriate promotion and pricing activities.
Scope of Responsibilities
Deliver Sales Controllables
- Achieve sales budget
- Achieve in-store presence objectives
- Spend within budget and coach team to spend trade funds to achieve the best ROI possible
Develop Team Members
- Develop and coach individuals on the team
- Understand professional goals of team members and build plans to help them achieve those goals
- Continually assess overall team capability vs. requirements and adjust as needed
- Manage performance issues quickly and directly
Develop Key Customers
- Develop a strategic vision for the Ghirardelli business (both short-term and long-term) you’re your customers to ensure continuous growth for the brand
- Penetrate key customers and understand Ghirardelli business development opportunities at each customer
- Understand customer timeliness and requirements and proactively and constructively work these back through the Ghirardelli Home Office
Be a Leader within the Company
- Demonstrate passion, commitment and integrity in all activities
- Treat confidential information as such
- Take both a top-line and bottom-line perspective on all issues
- Collaborate effectively across all functions
Sell, Live, Demonstrate and Protect the Premium-ness of our Products
- Build the Ghirardelli Brand Equity by demonstrating quality in everything you do
Achieve MAPS Objectives
- Develop and execute assortment reviews for key customers
- Develop ongoing distribution objectives for customer and/or broker teams.
- Develop and execute new item presentations to meet current and future objectives
- Increase distribution of Ghirardelli and improve ACV of existing distribution.
- Forecast all new item changes vs. budget on a monthly and more frequent basis when needed.
- Plan and implement promotional plans with key accounts.
- Develop selling tools for all retail distributor representatives to drive key distributor
- Ensure accurate monthly forecast for all promotional and non-promotional volumes
- Track all key initiatives on a timely basis
- Manage Category Development Funds (CDF) with key accounts to ensure plans are in place and spending is reconciled on a monthly basis
- Work with broker analysts to maintain all deductions less than 60 days at all times.
- Ownership and accountability for maintaining all trade spending within budgeted accrual rates given
- Price point management vs. objectives which includes price change implementation as needed
- Manage price surveys to ensure margin parity vs. competition on key measures
- Plan-o-grams (where appropriate) meet objectives.
- All Ghirardelli products merchandised together (i.e. work to create premium portfolio blocks)
- Ensure proper POS in place and updated
- Prepare category reviews/business reviews for key accounts as needed
- Collect competitive activity on an ongoing basis and be a category expert for customers/brokers.
- Be prepared for Ad Hoc tasks and projects helping internal resources on existing product analysis and new product launches.
- Be strategic in planning for future go-to-customer strategy changes.
Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrated leadership and development of direct reports
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience with forecasting software and promotional planning/deduction management systems or proven experience with financial management related to promotional product spending, travel and entertainment expense management and creating financial recommendations utilizing basic ROI analysis
- High level of follow-up, availability and responsiveness to internal and external partners.
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Strong analytical and computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word and ability to utilize, search and navigate on the Internet)
- Exhibit high level of focus and account penetration using sophisticated analysis and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking and making effective customer presentations
- Extensive knowledge and experience with channel and/or customers is highly desired
- Prior direct account management preferred.
Education & Work Experience
- BA/BS Degree
- Minimum of 7 years of direct selling experience
- Broker Management experience strongly desired
•Travel on average 2-3 nights per week, but up to 4 nights in a week
• Ability to travel to various locations across the country or local travel to meetings
• Works out of Home Office or in the Corporate Office (San Leandro, CA)