Corporate Headquarters - San Leandro, CA
Full-time | Exempt
An important link in the supply chain, the Production Supervisor will drive the business objectives and ensure that lines are running efficiently while focusing on safety, and on continuous and lean improvements. The Production Supervisor is at all times responsible for the cost, quality, machine/line efficiency, service level and safety of their assigned area to ensure the Company goals and objectives are met; daily, monthly, annual. The Production Supervisor is responsible to supervise a crew of production employees, team building, setting expectations and holding the team accountable for the quality, safety, efficiencies and sanitation of their assigned area. The Production Supervisor partners closely with cross-functional partners such as Quality, Human Resources, Maintenance and Engineering.
This position, by ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures, is responsible for recommending developing, implementing and managing safety, quality and food safety on all product lines.
Scope of Responsibilities
Cost of Product
- Staff, lead and supervise a crew of production employees. *
- Conduct periodic line audits to ensure proper equipment operating conditions and capabilities within standards.
- Review and monitor the performance of lines regularly with maintenance staff and maintenance supervisor. Develop actions to increase efficiencies by mechanical changes/adjustments of the lines.
- Monitor rework and waste and provide input to developing Lean programs to reduce.
- Analyze production issues and develop, recommend and implement continuous improvement strategies to address complex production issues.*
Quality of Product
- Oversee the production manufacturing processes. *
- Ensure that Ghirardelli’s GMP rules are enforced.
- Hold employees accountable for the quality of the product they produce; coach and provide performance feedback to employees if applicable.
- Maintain existing HACCP, Master Sanitation, Weight Control and quality programs.
- Ensure all designated Quality Checks are performed at the desired frequency and that documentation is in order.
- Review quality issues and define action steps to prevent future errors.
- Ensure that quality holds are expedited; implement corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Ensure production plans are adhered to; to ensure that correct SKU/quantity is produced.
- Regulate/monitor material flow and material usage.
- Report deviation of quantities or lot numbers on work orders to planning department.
- Report and enter production achievements.
- Inform the planning department of potential bottlenecks and production under achievements.
- Partner with Safety Manager ensure that Safety goals and objectives are met.
- Ensure proper training of staff in safety procedures and accident prevention.
- Enforce Ghirardelli’s Safety rules and procedures; provide performance feedback when applicable.
- Participate in Safety Committee meetings as required and follow up on action plans to resolve safety issues; accept a rotation as a safety chairperson.
- Assess, identify and implement training needs of staff –operators and team leads, and participate in development of training programs when required.*
- Ensure that training matrix is updated as needed.
- Partner with Human Resources Business Partner to ensure labor issues are addressed in a timely manner and within the guidelines of the collective bargaining agreement. May involve participation in grievance meetings, contract negotiations, mediations or arbitrations as needed.*
- Set expectations and priorities and holds employees accountable.*
- Develop employees skills sets, on the job and through training
- Enforce Ghirardelli safety rules, regulations and procedures; issue disciplinary actions as required.
- Manage/resolve employee issues, disputes and/or grievances; elevate as necessary.*
- Shows strong leadership in promoting safety processes and procedures
- Effectively communicates with employees to promote a safe workplace
- Takes actions to train employees and be proactive in preventing accidents and injuries
- Is vocal, direct and persistent in promoting safety
- Is familiar with State and Federal Safety requirements
May include other projects or tasks, as assigned.
Regular and prompt attendance is required.*
Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Strong computer literacy in MS Office and integrated systems.*
- Strong verbal and written communications skills*
- Strong conflict management skills.
- Strong knowledge of the production manufacturing processes. *
- Ability to manage multiple priorities/projects.*
- Required to develop strong trusting relationships with team and others in the organization in order to gain support and achieve results.
- Required to be self directed and motivated.
- Required to work and function effectively in a union environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to proactively engage dialogue and communication to reach resolutions with employees at all levels of the organization.*
- Flexibility to work any shift, as needed.*
Education & Work Experience
- BA degree in engineering/food science or related discipline and 2 to 4 years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education or experience.
- Unionized manufacturing environment
- Potential for very warm or very cold working environment/depending on area of assignment.
- Interfacing with various manufacturing equipment and office computer equipment
- Regular communication with direct reports and internal and/or external customers
- Occasional travel for meeting/training