Quality Systems Engineer
Corporate Headquarters - San Leandro, CA
Senior QA Manager
Full-time | Exempt
NOTE: In order to be considered for employment interested candidates must submit their resume electronically to https://www.gccweb.ghirardelli.com/jobs
*Please note when applying for this role online:
- Use Internet Explorer only
- Once you click the apply button, you will be redirected to a list of our positions.
- All positions are listed in alphabetical order. Please locate your position and click apply again.
- Lastly skip over the section where it says ‘Select any relevant skills you may have’ (unfortunately this section is not working with our system, and we are working to fix it)
The Quality Systems Engineer coordinates all activities that will assure successful maintenance of Food Safety System Certification (FSSC 22000) and the Ghirardelli quality system. Additionally, the position supports the Operations team in food safety related activities.
This position, by ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures, is responsible for recommending, developing, implementing and managing the food safety and quality systems.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Manage, revise and maintain the food safety and quality systems to ensure successful FSSC 22000 surveillance audits in our chocolate manufacturing facility.
- Manage food safety training program to enhance awareness for all employees through coordination of internal training.
- Assure revision and maintenance of documents is compliant to FSSC 22000 requirements and established in a consistent and accurate way. Assure standardized and centralized data management.
- Manage records program so that all records required for FSSC 22000 are maintained.
- Responsible for management reviews that ensure that performance against key performance indicators is monitored
- Coordinates the internal audit program that assures maintenance of the food safety system
- Responsible for management of changes that impact the food safety system. Ensures that HACCP plan is kept current as changes occur.
- Manage non-conformity reports and monitor the Continual Improvement program to support operations and business process improvements and timely closure of open items.
Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Expertise and working knowledge in ISO standards preferable 9001:2008, FSSC 22000
- Working knowledge with a GFSI Standard preferably FSSC 22000
- Detail oriented
- Excellent in record keeping with the ability to prepare detailed written reports on a routine basis.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills
- Must be able to lead meetings and perform presentations.
- Proven skills and ability to multi-task/prioritize workload.
- Solid analytical skills
- Proven knowledge of food safety and regulatory requirements
- Proficient working knowledge of MS Office applications
Education & Work Experience
- 5+ years working in quality within a food manufacturing or related environment.
- Proven experience with developing, evaluating and implementing ISO processes and programs, preferably within a food manufacturing environment or related field
- Experience with food regulatory and compliance.
- Experience working with and/or leading cross functional teams
- Experience in training and working with different employee levels throughout an organization
- Bachelor’s degree in food science or related field with commensurate experience
- ISO 9001:2008, FSSC 22000 Training or equivalent experience
- Lead Auditor Training preferred
- Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) and Certified Quality Auditor (CQA) certifications a plus
- Rare to Occasional ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Occasional local travel and travel by air to meetings and vendors