Master Chocolateer - Ghirardelli Square Marketplace
Restaurant & Retail
San Francisco, CA
Full-time | Exempt
To represent Ghirardelli as the ‘Master Chocolateer’ for the Marketplace at Ghirardelli Square, and in other locations and events, with the purpose of delighting and educating our customers.
Creating hand crafted Ghirardelli Chocolate products in front of an audience of customers in store, with the goal of engaging, educating and delighting customers and establishing Ghirardelli as the number 1 premium chocolate brand in the USA.
The Master Chocolateer will generate incremental sales through the creation of unique chocolate products, customer interaction and chocolate theater.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Be Ghirardelli chocolate ambassador, in store and at events.
- Inform and entertain customers by creating a lively platform of continuous interaction via sampling and talking about the art of chocolate creation.
- Work with chocolate, in all aspects at the demonstration station.
- Create unique hand-crafted chocolate products such as chocolate slabs, hollow and flatback figures.
- Work with Ghirardelli R&D to create new products and recipes.
- Host Ghirardelli chocolate school and chocolate creations classes.
- Weigh, prepare food labels and pack all produced products.
- Handwrite with chocolate.
- Prepare a daily program of chocolate station activities working closely with the Marketing and Operations team to align with marketing strategies and sell through targets.
- Research market trends to capitalize on Master Chocolateer made products.
- Share in-depth chocolate and product knowledge, handling and storage knowledge with customers.
- Be the point of contact and host for external Chocolate tour groups that visit the store.
- Deliver passion and knowledge of chocolate to new employees at inductions and in store.
- Order and maintain the tool kit and required items for demonstration station.
- Open and close demonstration station, including updating procedures and checklists to ensure smooth overall operations.
- Cleaning and maintenance of equipment.
- Manage and train other Master Chocolateers.
Customer Service and sales
- Excite and ignite customer’s passion for Ghirardelli, through creating salable masterpieces live in the store.
- Maximize opportunities to add emotional chocolate experiences through constantly working the chocolate and producing products in front of customers.
- Build a rapport with customers and create repeat business.
- Create customized products for high value customers.
- Analyze sales of products to ensure sales growth and right mix of ingredients, products and price points.
- Ensure created products are fully stocked, merchandised and pass quality control.
Food Handling & Hygiene
- Maintain a clean and organized demonstration station, uniform, personal cleanliness and grooming.
- Adhere to chocolate handling and storage guidelines.
- Adhere to all Food and Safety guidelines and laws.
- Work closely with Ghirardelli R&D to create quality standards for demonstration station
- Quality control of the stores chocolate products both front and back of house to maintain quality assurance standards and brand expectations.
- Oversee the handling and storage of chocolate products in conjunction with the store management team.
- Select, order and control specific inventory items used to produce products.
- Manage products inventory, stock count, stock on hand and saleable presentation.
Specific Knowledge & Skills
- Extensive knowledge of handling and storing chocolate.
- Comprehensive product knowledge and superior presentation skills including public speaking.
- Outgoing personality with exceptional inter-personal skills with the ability to relate to a broad spectrum of guests.
- Good hand-writing skills using chocolate.
- Competent PC user.
- Experience in food handling and presentation.
- Reliable & Committed.
- Self motivated and self-disciplined with the ability to work individually and within a team.
- Impeccably presented. Clean and no visible tattoos.
- Confident, outgoing and engaging personality.
- Great time management skills (multi-tasking and prioritizing).
- Readily shares professional knowledge and expertise. Enjoys teaching.
- Assigns high priority to customer satisfaction.
- Creates solutions for unmet customer needs.
- Is committed to quality.
- Has energy and energizes others.
Education & Work Experience
- Qualified Pastry Chef and/or Confectioner.
- It would be advantageous to have had experience of promoting premium brands.
- BS or equivalent experience
- Stands, talks and performs 80% of the time.
- Travel required for job 30% of the time.
Ghirardelli Chocolate Marketplace
900 North Point (Ghirardelli Square)
San Francisco, CA 94109