Individual Chocolate-Amaretto Lava Cakes
1 cup Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
3 tablespoons amaretto
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cake flour
- For cake centers, in a saucepan, melt 1/3 cup of the Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and 1/4 cup cream over low heat. Remove from heat. Whisk gently to blend. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the amaretto. Freeze for 1 hour or until firm. Form into 6 balls; refrigerate until needed.
- For the cake, preheat oven to 400°F. Spray six 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups with nonstick cooking spray; lset aside. In a double boiler, melt the remaining 2/3 cup Ghirardelli® 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and butter over low heat. Remove from heat. Whisk gently to blend. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons amaretto; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and light. Fold melted chocolate mixture and flour into egg mixture just until combined. Spoon cake batter into prepared ramekins. Gently press a chocolate ball into center of cake batter in each ramekin.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cake is firm to the touch. Let ramekins stand on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a small, sharp knife around inside of each ramekin. One at a time, place a small plate on top of each ramekin, invert and remove ramekin. If desired, top each cake with a dollop of whipped cream and chopped toasted almonds*.
- * To toast almonds, preheat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and shaking pan once or twice.
Prep: 20 minutes
Freeze: 1 hour
Bake: 15 minutes
Stand: 5 minutes